Artist's rendering...not my actual dream turtle. Mine was smiling.
Hard to know who was more surprised, the snake or us
That white dot on the head is the distinguishing mark for this species.
Yes, I'm absolutely fearless in the presence of a four inch long baby snake.
A big chunk of spunky skunks
I've been canceled by my own phone.
Time Out for a Blog PSA: Y'all, it's just a hobby!
July 16, 2020 2:19 PM | Posted in: Navel Gazing
Don't tell anyone I did this.
**OK, these are their real names, just not the other ones.
I'm told that the more of my face that's covered, the better
When I'm sixty-four.
-- Some obscure musical group
"Agricultural Tragic" - Another Bullseye from Corb Lund
June 26, 2020 12:05 PM | Posted in: Music
- 90 Seconds of Your Time - An attempt to dissuade an Army Ranger from hunting down a horse thief
- Old Men - An ode to experience
- I Think You Oughta Try Whiskey - An "old-style" duet with Jaida Dreyer; more about this below
- Raining Horses - A tale of fecundity, but too much is never enough
- Oklahomans! - Garth would be proud
- Grizzly Bear Blues - Don't wait until you meet up with one to decide what you'll do
- Dance With Your Spurs On - Life is short, so...you know...
- Louis L'amour - A paean to days past, an elegy for today's tragedies, in three-quarter time
- Never Not Had Horses - A tribute to his cowgirl mom, a rancher and horsewoman from day one
- Ranchin', Ridin', Romance (Two Outta Three Ain't Bad) - Chris LeDoux (RIP) would be proud
- Rat Patrol - Who you gonna get to get 'em under control? Las ratas rockabilly
- Tattoos Blues - We don't judge, but spelling can be pretty criticle
"Old school country duet" hits the bullseye. It's a throwback to some great "love you/hate you/can't live with you/can't live without you" songs. A couple that come immediately to my mind are You're the Reason Our Kids Are Ugly (Loretta Lynn and Conway Twitty) and In Spite of Ourselves (Iris DeMent and John Prine).
Today's the day. My new album "Agricultural Tragic" is available everywhere. While you're listening, I wanted to point out one song in particular - "I Think You Oughta Try Whiskey", an old school country duet featuring my good pal @jaidadreyer. Listen: https://t.co/falCRCPBrr pic.twitter.com/tBbtTHV2FQ-- corblund (@CorbLund) June 26, 2020
"Our" spiny lizard busily hiding her nest
But, much to our surprise, after I went back in the house, she returned to the nest and continued to scrape dirt and rocks back over the nest until it was finished. The primal urge to protect her eggs is strong and apparently irresistible, even though she'll have nothing to do with them once that task is finished. Put another way...she takes pride in her work, but has a pretty narrow definition of the scope of that work.